VEGAN BIRTHDAY CAKE
Good Morning! Can you believe it’s day 11 of our 30 days of plant based recipes? I hope you’re loving this series as much as I am. Can you tell I’m passionate about living plant based? ahhh–love! A lot of people question how I sacrifice all the good stuff being vegan but the truth is that I don’t actually ever miss out on anything–I just find a vegan version. In addition to sharing my own recipes I wanted to test and try some of the best vegan recipes already created for this series so you can too see that it doesn’t all have to be lettuce wraps and tossed salad (BORRING!). I mean, I LOVE a good lettuce wrap but get this girl some cake.
This birthday cake I made (with the most amazing help from my sister in law) for Harlow’s birthday was an absolute hit and I know my friends wouldn’t lie to me. The entire party was vegan and that has always been a dream of mine. Everyone couldn’t believe how amazing it all was and that it was ALL vegan. What’s not to believe? Being vegan ACTUALLY tastes amazing. That’s my mission; To show the world that yes you can be vegan and eat your cake too. This recipe we have all fallen in love with is from The Cake Merchant and she has PERFECTED it. Moist, fluffy, tastes amazing. I used an icing recipe from here that was two ingredients and it was also super fluffy and something you have to try. I have tried baking a million cakes and this is for sure one of my faves. I know you’ll love it.
The secret to all my “butter” needs is the vegan Becel. I swear nothing tastes as good as it does. Also, I ordered all of my baking needs form Amazon and they showed up the next morning…so easy. I hope you guys try this and love it and let the Cake Merchant know just how good it is. Thanks for being here, truly means so much.
- For The Cake
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) non-dairy milk (soy, almond, rice)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (230 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons (110 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 2 cups (250 grams) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- For The Icing
- 1/2 cup of vegan butter
- 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Grease and line 3 6-inch cake pans with parchment paper. (I used 5 6 inch and it worked wonderfully).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk and vinegar. Let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla extract, and whisk together until the mixture becomes frothy.
- Sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk together until the flour mixture disappears.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 3 pans (I used a kitchen scale to do this) and bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. (Again I used 5 pans and it worked).
- Cool the pans on wire racks for about 15 minutes. Then turn the cakes out of the pans onto the wire racks and cool completely before frosting.
- FOR THE ICING
- Mix both until fluffy.
- Put a dab of icing on your stand.
- Add a layer of cake.
- Apply some icing to the top and apply the next layer. Repeat until all layers are up.
- Using an offset spatula or icing spatula rotate the cake to cover and create as much coverage as desired.
- We used skewers to keep the cake in place and to prevent it from toppling over.
- Decorate as desired.
Leave a Reply