Well this dish isn’t the most beautiful by any means but it sure is delicious. It is based off of a traditional Greek dish called spanakorizo. It reminds me so much of my childhood as it was one of my favourite dishes my grandma would make for me. We would pick the fresh spinach, dill and tomatoes from her garden. I can’t wait to have a garden half as wonderful as hers, just waiting on the go ahead from the city to do anything to our yard.
You can add white beans to it or chickpeas if you desire for some added protein. Sometimes I love added a white bean but I didn’t have any in my cupboard. It is really simple and it is just a matter of adjusting it to your taste buds. Let me know if you guys have any questions.
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of rice
- 1 cup of fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pack of baby spinach
- 1 handful of fresh dill, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fell free to add a white bean or chickpea for added protein. We do this often.
- In a medium pot sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil. Add in the tomatoes (I boil mine all together for 15 minutes before*), rice, spinach, dill, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Let cook for 10 minutes then reduce heat to medium and let simmer until rice is soft.
- * Boil your tomatoes prior to in order to help reduce bitterness.